Find out the various treatment options that can help you manage your bunion symptoms.
A bunion is a sometimes-painful swelling of the joint at the base of the big toe. A bunion shows up slowly over time and causes the big toe to push inward toward the other toes. Since the bunion is at the joint where the toe bends, this means that all of your body weight is being placed on this area. This can cause some pretty nasty discomfort, among other issues. If you have a bunion, find out how your New Braunfels, TX podiatrists, Drs. Brandon and Sarah James, might treat it.
Even though a bunion is permanent unless removed surgically, there are some ways to manage your symptoms and prevent the progression of your condition. For those with more minor bunion issues, you may find that just changing your shoes is all you’ll need. Swapping out high heels and tight-fitted shoes for ones that are roomy and low-heeled may make all the difference.
These are also some other treatment options to manage your symptoms. Talk to your foot doctor in New Braunfels about which approaches might help you the best:
- Maintain a healthy weight. If you need to lose weight then consider changing your diet and exercising more often.
- Place a bunion pad or moleskin pad over your bunion to protect it from friction and irritation when wearing shoes.
- Wear custom-made shoe inserts to reposition the foot so it’s properly in alignment. Sometimes a foot imbalance is to blame for bunions, and shoe inserts can help to correct the issue and reduce symptoms.
- Take OTC non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications like ibuprofen to reduce pain and swelling.
- Opt for icing the painful joint a couple times a day for about 10 to 15 minutes at a time.
If no standard or conservative treatment options offer you the relief you need, or if you are experiencing severe pain, then you may want to talk to us about whether surgery is the next best option.
Turn to Foot & Ankle Surgery of New Braunfels, TX for all of your foot-related problems and concerns. We are here to make sure that your feet get the care they deserve.