Posts for tag: ankle pain
What you can do about an ankle fracture
You don’t have to be an athlete to fracture your ankle. There are many mundane ways you can fracture your ankle just going through the activities of daily life. The important thing is to know what to do if you experience a painful and debilitating ankle fracture. Your podiatrists at Foot & Ankle Surgery of New Braunfels, in New Braunfels, Texas want to help you get back on your feet and help you heal.
A fractured ankle can result from trauma, car accidents and even just stepping wrong and falling. As you get older, you may be suffering from osteoporosis and your bones are weaker. This makes a fracture during a fall much more likely. Your treatment will vary depending on how severe your fracture is.
Your podiatrists at Foot & Ankle Surgery of New Braunfels want you to know and recognize the symptoms of an ankle fracture, which are:
- Pain that gets worse when you put weight on it
- Swelling, bruising and throbbing pain
- Deformity in your ankle
- Decreasing pain when you rest
- Increasing pain during activity
Your podiatrists at Foot & Ankle Surgery of New Braunfels can suggest several treatments for your ankle fracture including:
- Medications to reduce pain and swelling
- Immobilization by placing your ankle in a cast so it can heal
- Moving your ankle back into its proper position, called reduction
- Surgery using screws, plates or pins to hold your ankle in proper position while it heals
You should try to prevent ankle fractures by using night lights and removing things you can trip on around the house. Always wear supportive shoes and do exercises to strengthen your ankles, which your podiatrists at Foot & Ankle Surgery of New Braunfels can suggest. If you do suffer from an ankle fracture, don’t wait! Help is just a phone call away so call your podiatrists at Foot & Ankle Surgery of New Braunfels, in New Braunfels, Texas. Get help today!